In 1957, Arizona State College at Flagstaff relocated Lumberjack Stadium from its original location at Skidmore Field, now the area occupied by the Physical Science and Liberal Arts buildings. The football program continued to play at Skidmore Field before transferring to the stadium in 1960.
Since the football program moved to the J. Lawrence Walkup Skydome in 1977, the women's soccer program, intramural sports, and outdoor track and field use Lumberjack Stadium for training and competitions.
The stadium also became home to the Center for High Altitude Training between 1997 and 2009 and gained USA Olympic status before the university closed the program due to budget cuts. In 2011, NAU renovated Lumberjack Stadium to include the Health and Learning Center.