Northern Arizona Normal School (NANS) opened its first residence hall to female students in 1905. Three years later, Girls' Dormitory became Boys' Dormitory, and female students moved to the newly completed Bury Hall. In 1920, NANS renamed the original building after its first president, Almon Taylor. To mimic the rusticated Moenkopi sandstone walls of Old Main, Arizona State Teachers College at Flagstaff covered the residence's exterior brick walls with red concrete in 1935.
During World War II, the Hall housed members of the V-12 Navy College Training Program. The dormitory had its own store selling various sundry items in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Head residents conducted weekly room inspections until the 1960s, collecting fines for violations which were then used to purchase doughnuts and coffee served in the entrance hall every Sunday.
Since 1996, Taylor Hall residents have created a haunted house for Halloween with all proceeds donated to local charities. As part of the Freshman Connections program, Northern Arizona University is converting Taylor Hall into a co-ed dormitory for the fall of 2014.