In 1922-23 Northern Arizona Normal School (NANS) created McMullen Field south of Ashurst Auditorium, where the Communications Building and the Adel Mathematics Buildings stand today. The School named the field after NANS' fifth president, Lynn McMullen, for his enjoyment of athletics. Called the "Lumberjacks" since 1915, the team often played local high schools, club teams, and Tempe Normal School
McMullen Field represented the Lumberjacks first on-campus home and hosted the first Homecoming game in 1924. Between 1926 and 1929, the team became a powerhouse, compiling a 23-4-2 record and outscoring its opponents 750-129! This success led the College in 1933 to move to the new Skidmore Stadium, where today's Liberal Arts building stands. Football remained there until 1957, when it moved to the 3,000 seat Lumberjack stadium.
Northern Arizona University's primary athletic field is now the Walkup Skydome. The football, men's and women's basketball, and track and field teams all practice or play in the stadium. The NFL's Arizona Cardinals, the NBA's Phoenix Suns, and the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury have used the facilities for pre-season training.