Northern Arizona Normal School opened its new Teacher Training School in 1921. Its neoclassical style is characterized by a temple-shaped portico and Tuscan columns. To make room, the School demolished Flagstaff's first elementary school and relocated the old Herrington house. In 1983, Northern Arizona University renamed the building in honor of its second president, Rudolph H.H. Blome.
The training school served as a laboratory for future teachers and included classrooms for preschool through eighth grade as well as a library. It quickly earned a reputation across the state for producing some of the best elementary teachers. In 1957 the training school moved to the newly-built Eastburn Building. At this time, the older structure became the Journalism Building and also housed the budding Forestry Department.
The building's tenants changed throughout the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, from Student Services and the Sports Information Office to Risk Management and Campus Safety. For many years, Human Resources occupied the Blome Building, until that department moved to the Centennial Building in 2000. Today, the building's primary occupant is the Center for International Education.