Campbell Hall opened to students in 1916. The building's Jeffersonian style of architecture is evident in the four massive columns holding up the front portico. Originally named Babbitt Hall, Northern Arizona Normal School renamed it to honor Hugh E. Campbell, a local sheep man, state senator, and a strong advocate for the School.
Arizona State Teacher's College at Flagstaff constructed a small annex in the 1930s connecting Campbell Hall to the North Quad. During World War II, the Hall housed members of the V-12 Navy College Training Program. In 1946, the renamed Arizona State College at Flagstaff converted the building into a men's dormitory to handle the influx of male students after the end of the war. The dormitory became the first honors residence on campus in 1967.
Campbell Hall continues to function as a dormitory. However, to keep pace with the evolving housing needs of students, the University is converting it into a co-ed dorm in the fall 2014.