Red Lake Trading Post

The Red Lake Trading Post was established by George McAdams in 1884 and was acquired by the Babbitt brothers, the famous mercantile family of northern Arizona, in 1891. Trading posts were important social and economic centers for the Navajo, primarily because many Navajo operated on a barter economy until the middle of the 20th Century. It sits along U.S. 160 approximately 20 miles northeast of Tuba City, the original administrative center for the western Navajo Indian Reservation. Both the 1927 and 1928 trips began at Red Lake (Tonalea) Trading Post, where they acquired pack animals and provisions.

Red Lake Arizona. Starting point of the expedition, July 15, 1927
NAU.PH.2005.3.1.1.1
« 1 of 2 »
[The Red Lake Trading Post horse corral in 1928]
NAU.PH.2005.3.2.1.16
« 1 of 2 »
Back to civilization at Red Lake. Indians selling sheep. [End of the 1927 trip]
NAU.PH.2005.3.1.37.105
« 1 of 2 »
Scenes at Red Lake, J.J. Hanks at the end of the 1927 trip.
NAU.PH.2005.3.1.35.107
« 1 of 2 »

Additional Images near Red Lake Trading Post (Click to Enlarge)