Southwest Forest Science Complex
In 1990, President George H. W. Bush signed two appropriation bills to provide $14.5 million towards the construction of the Southwest Forest Science Complex (SFSC). Northern Arizona University opened the SFSC in 1992. The building houses NAU's School of Forestry (SOF), the Ecological Restoration Institute, NAU Centennial Forest administrative offices, the U.S. Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station, and the U.S. Forest Service Headquarters for the Southwestern United States.
The School of Forestry began in 1958 and resided in the Blome Building. In 1960, the program occupied the Frier Building until its final move to the SFSC. Currently, the SOF has a partnership with the State of Arizona and the U.S. Forest Service researching forest ecology and management. It is the only Forestry program in the Southwest accredited by the Society of American Foresters.