Special Collections and Archives (SCA) is thrilled to have Kelly Phillips join the department in the role of Collections Manager. This is a brand new position for SCA and one that has been needed for many years. This vital position was created after a rigorous departmental analysis revealed a need to better document incoming and outgoing materials (gifts, loans etc.) Furthermore, the analysis revealed that the department needed to centralize the monitoring and management of the collections storage environment as a broader component of preservation at the library. Finally, this role frees up duties presently undertaken by others in SCA responsible for other functions.
What specific tasks are associated with collections management you ask? On any given day, Kelly could …
- Work with donors and university transferees (staff/faculty) with documenting new acquisitions
- Form a vital part of SCA’s acquisitions committee
- Populate a secure database (ArchivesSpace) with comprehensive donor information and associated gifts, both past and present
- Address rights management (copyright, ownership) concerns prior to the physical transfer of materials
- Collaborate with other SCA staff with reappraisal of existing holdings
- Monitor the physical and virtual storage locations of SCA materials to mitigate loss
- Record temperature/relative humidity and potential threats from insects and implement improvements
- In an effort to improve digital preservation, collaborate with SCA’s Digital Access Librarian to tackle recommendations from the department’s recent Trustworthy Repositories Audit & Certification (TRAC) process
- Help SCA develop policies and procedures around preservation, collections management, and access policies (to name a few)
- Respond to reference queries from the NAU and broader research community
Kelly can be reached by contacting us at Special Collections and Archives.