[NAU.PH.] Edith Bass, approx. 20 years old, circa 1916.Edith Bass, approx. 20 years old, circa 1916.

Upon his return, Bert resumed guiding and training horses for Bass. He and Edith were drawn to each other by a camaraderie and mutual respect and soon love began to blossom. W.W. Bass was not happy with the new development as he most likely had more lofty aspirations for his daughter's future. To quell the budding romance he sent Edith away to high school in California. Their ardor was not so easily extinguished, however, and they began a correspondence against Bass's wishes. Through their letters they shared their everyday events, hopes and dreams and painted a picture of life on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. After Edith's return from Oakland she and Bert were married on September 21, 1916 at Mrs. Dameron's house in Phoenix.

Bert indicated on his resume that sometime between 1911 to 1917 he "proved up on homestead." His homestead was located on Pasture Wash not far from Havasupai Point and access to Bass's camps. Bert may have seen this as an investment with an eye directed toward continued growth (which never did pan out). He continued to "prove up" on his property from 1917 to 1920 and built a small house there at an unknown date. This was known as "The Ranch" and, according to Bert's youngest son Loren (Tiny), the family often spent time there in the summer grazing the horses.

[NAU.PH.] Edith, Bert, Loren, Muriel and Hubert in front of country house, Grand Canyon, circa 1922.Edith, Bert, Loren, Muriel and Hubert in front of country house, Grand Canyon, circa 1922.

In August of 1917, Bert and Edith became parents with the arrival of their first child, Hubert. They began making payments on the White House shortly thereafter to W.W. Bass and made it their home. Muriel (Dolly) was born in January of 1920 and Loren was delivered in a boxcar at the Grand Canyon that served as Dr. Jones' office.

Bert and Edith's life together proved short lived. In 1924, she went to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix for surgery due to gall stones. When it seemed as if she was improving, she held Bert's hand for a long time, and asked him to go home to help her mother with the children. A couple of days later she took a turn for the worse. Edith Bass Lauzon died on the eighth anniversary of her wedding day. She was twenty-five years old. The last words she said to Miss Nikolson, the nurse, was, "Do all you can for me and save me for my cute kiddies."

At Edith's funeral there were a number of Supai women and boys that were, according to Bert's diary:

...all broke up that their long time friend had failed to return with me. Edith had been loved by these Indians for twenty-five years. Edith's resting place is under three big Pines near the Canyon where she grew up in, and loved most.