Ellsworth Schnebly Collection
- 77 black-and-white photographs, 5 color photographs, 23 postcards, 17 negatives
- Views include:
- Sedona; Oak Creek Canyon; Schnebly Hill, Sedona business district; Wayside Chapel, Sedona; Holbrook, AZ; T.C. Schnebly home; Cherry Creek Mine
- Sedona and T.C. Schnebly; Ellsworth Schnebly; various Schnebly family members--1890-1970
- Biographic note:
- The Schnebly Family were early pioneers in Oak Creek Canyon, arriving at the turn of the century. Ellsworth Schnebly and his older brother, T.C., were the first contributors to fund building the road between Oak Creek Canyon and Flagstaff, now known as Schnebly Hill Road. The brothers operated a small store in the canyon and T.C. freighted fresh produce from their farm in Oak Creek to Flagstaff over the new road.
Oak Creek Canyon soon became a half-way point between Flagstaff and Jerome. When T.C.'s application for a post office was approved, Ellsworth proposed naming the new community, Sedona, after T.C.'s wife, Sedona Miller Schnebly.
The Schnebly's were also instrumental in the building of the non-denominational church, Wayside Chapel, in Sedona in 1949. The church bell and organ were dedicated to the memory of Sedona Schnebly.
- Related Materials:
- NAU manuscript collection no. 192
Special Collections and Archives Department
Northern Arizona University
All contents copyright ©1998. ABOR, NAU. All rights reserved.