After Harvey's death in 1901, his sons, Ford and Byron, continued to operate the now substantial family business, along with John Frederick Huckel, Herman Schweizer, and David Benjamin. Noted architect Mary Jane Colter was hired to design several buildings for the Harvey Company, including the Bright Angel Lodge, Desert View Watchtower, Phantom Ranch, Hopi House, Hermit's Rest and Lookout Studio at the Grand Canyon, as well as La Fonda in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and La Posada in Winslow, Arizona. "Harveycars," replete with tour guides, transported growing numbers of tourists to scenic attractions. Fine Native American crafts became a hallmark for the Harvey retail shops, many of which also employed regional artisans to demonstrate their skills in making a variety of items.
With the onset of the Depression, the Fred Harvey Company adapted to the changing preferences of travellers, who opted for dining-car meals rather than those at restaurants. World War II brought a brief resurgence of business as troops were transported cross-country. After the War, the company continued to open and operate restaurants and other businesses nationwide. Several national parks, in addition to Grand Canyon, became home to Fred Harvey eateries and shops.
In 1968, the Hawaiian firm Amfac purchased the Fred Harvey Company and began to apply the company's expertise in the hospitality industry to its own chain of hotels and restaurants. Additional restaurants, hotels, and retail shops were built or bought, some with specific themes, others catering to travelers. JMB Realty, an American corporation now located in Denver, Colorado, purchased Amfac in 1988.
Special Collections and Archives Department
Northern Arizona University
All contents copyright ©1998. ABOR, NAU. All rights reserved.