James E. Babbitt Collection
- 18 black-and-white photographs and negatives
- Views Include:
- Flagstaff, AZ: Coconino County Courthouse, Emerson School, Julius Aubineau house, laying pipes for the first water system, water reservoir, sandstone quarry; C O Bar Supply wagon; Northern Arizona mines; Navajos; President Theodore Roosevelt speaking at the Grand Canyon; Hull Cabin, Grand Canyon; Tuuvi with a group of Hopi Indians; all images taken ca. 1900.
- Attributed to George Babbitt, Sr.
- Biographic Note:
- These photographs originally belonged to George Babbitt, Sr. (1860-1920), one of the five Babbitt brothers who settled in Flagstaff in the late 1880's. The brothers became highly successful businessmen and stockmen. George Sr. was also involved in real estate, politics, and several private ventures, and is remembered for his great generosity and popularity. He and his wife Philomena Wessel had five children: Bertrand, Margaret, Herbert, George Jr., and Eunice. James E. Babbitt, who donated these photographs, is a great-nephew of George Sr., and owner of two Flagstaff outdoor shops.
Special Collections and Archives Department
Northern Arizona University
All contents copyright ©1998. ABOR, NAU. All rights reserved.