Arizona Wool Growers Association Collection
- 159 black-and-white photographs, 50 negatives; 1 photo album of 46 black-and -white photographs; 7 photomechanical prints; 1 color photograph; 1 photogravure; 2 black-and-white photographs with hand coloring
- Views Include:
- Wool and sheep industry
- Sheep ranchers and officers in the Arizona Wool Growers Association, ca. 1925-1970
- Historic Agency Note:
- The Arizona Wool Growers Association was formed as a response to matters of which the sheepmen of Arizona felt could be best handled "collectively." Consequently, on October 1, 1886, the Arizona Sheep Breeders and Wool Growers Association was organized in Flagstaff, Arizona Territory. Membership was voluntary and meetings held annually, at which officers were elected. The stated purpose of the organization was to promote the breeding and use of pure-bred rams, to arrange for the annual rodeo conducted each year for the purpose of going through each man's herd and removing the stray sheep and returning them to their respective owners, to agree on a uniform wage scale for shearers and herders, and to assist the industry generally on all matters of common interest. When the Forest Service was created in 1898, as a part of the Department of the Interior, the ranges came under Federal control. When the Department of the Interior began making rules for grazing on federal lands, rules that for a time threatened the sheep industry in Arizona, the membership felt that a stronger organization of sheepmen was necessary. As a result, in 1899 at an annual meeting the name was shortened to Arizona Wool Growers Association, and there were constitutional and by-law changes. The Association also formed into two divisions, the Western and Eastern Division. Each had control of its local business and problems, each had separate meetings, but they continued to meet together annually and report to a common Board of Directors. In 1906, however, the divisions were abolished and the organization was once again run as a general association. In 1925 the Association was incorporated, with renewals in 1950 and in 1975. The organization was dissolved by order of the Supreme Court on July 13, 1982 after ninety-six years. With only two exceptions, the annual meetings were held in Flagstaff.
- Related Materials:
- Manuscript #233
Special Collections and Archives Department
Northern Arizona University
All contents copyright ©1998. ABOR, NAU. All rights reserved.