| Flagstaff History For Kids!
|| Page 2
In the 1850's Army expeditions crossed Northern Arizona looking for the best place
to make a wagon road or build a railroad. One such group, led by E.F. Beale, brought
camels with them--but no kids.
On the 4th of July, 1876, as the United States turned 100, a group of people from
the east built a flagpole out of a pine tree and raised the American flag in Antelope
Park. Seven years later, a railroad--the Atlantic and Pacific--was constructed through
Antelope Park. Our town was named for the flagstaff which was still standing.
Having a railroad in Flagstaff meant that a lumber company could cut and ship wood
cheaply. The Arizona Lumber and Timber Company quickly became a big business.
As the company grew, so did the town. American, Hispanic, Basque, African-American,
and Chinese kids came to Flagstaff with their families and then other kids were born
A little girl named Mary Riordan, who was born in 1890, lived in this house, now known
as the Riordan Mansion. Notice the lack of trees. Her father and uncle owned the Arizona
Lumber and Timber Company. They built the dam at Lake Mary in 1903 and named the lake
Northern Arizona University
Special Collections and Archives Department
P.O. Box 6022
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6022
Fax (928) 523-3770
Revised: February 20, 1997
Contact: Ask A Librarian
Flagstaff History For Kids!
Produced and distributed by the Cline Library, Special Collections and Archives
© Arizona Board of Regents.
Reproduction of slides and text requires written permission from the Library.