MakerLab Use Policies
The Cline Library MakerLab is intended to support the educational, research, and public service missions of NAU. Use of the MakerLab is subject to the following policies.
The MakerLab is open to NAU and CCC faculty, staff, and students as well as the public during posted MakerLab hours. Users under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and have an Assumption of Risk – Minors form on file, signed by a parent or guardian (located on the Contracting and Purchasing Services site).
In general, 3D print jobs are processed in the order received. During periods of heavy use, however, class assignments and other items being printed for academic purposes will be prioritized over non-academic jobs.
Caution, 3D printer extruders and soldering irons get very hot. Use at your own risk. Tools in the MakerLab include sharp objects. Pay attention to posted warnings and handle all equipment with care.
Rules and Regulations
MakerLab equipment, including 3D printers, scanners, and other items, may only be used for lawful purposes. No one is permitted to create material or engage in conduct that is:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Prohibited by Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) or NAU policy, including but not limited to:
- NAU Weapons Policy. You may request an exception to the NAU Weapons Policy. Library staff will not print objects that are considered weapons without an approved exception. If you have an approved exception, please contact the library at 928-523-6820 to arrange to have your item printed.
- NAU Network Acceptable Use Policy for Students / Network Acceptable Use Policy for Faculty/Staff
- NAU Student Handbook
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- In violation of another's intellectual property rights. For example, you cannot reproduce material subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a printing/copying /scanning order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright or other intellectual property laws.
- For primarily commercial purposes. Cline Library is prohibited by ABOR policy 1-105 and Arizona Revised Statute 41-2752 from competing with private enterprise.
The library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print/scan request.
The library cannot guarantee model quality or stability, nor confidentiality of designs. Users are responsible for removing rafts and supports.
Items must be picked up by the individual who submitted them using valid ID. Items must be paid for at time of pickup. Items must be picked up within 30 days of printing.
Waiver of Submission form
Notice concerning copyright and other intellectual property restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order/scanning services if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright or other intellectual property laws.
By submitting this print request, I acknowledge, represent, and warrant as follows:
- I have read, understand, and will comply with the copyright notice posted above.
- This request complies with the Cline Library MakerLab Use Policy and all other applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- I will use the printed object(s) only for personal use, private study, scholarship, or research.
- I will not use printed objects for any commercial purpose or allow any third party to do so.
- I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the State of Arizona, the Arizona Board of Regents, Northern Arizona University, their officers, employees, agents, and assigns, and waive all claims, demands, losses, or damages on account of claims that the printed object infringes upon any copyright, trade secret, or other proprietary right of a third party, personal injury, partial or permanent disability, property damage, or death, caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by any person or entity during my use and participation in the Cline Library MakerLab.