Keyword: If you get too many items in the search results, try:
- Enclosing phrases in quotes (e.g., "national parks")
- Narrowing your search with additional terms for more specificity, e.g., "national parks" trails
- Consulting the Keyword search help page for more tips
Author: Enter last_name, first_name, e.g., joyce, james (or you may omit the comma: joyce james)
- Books & Printed Material will limit your search to books and other printed material like government documents and print periodicals
- DVDs and VHS limits to videorecordings in these formats (to limit a search to a single media format like DVDs or for more information on finding media in the library or online, see Find Movies & Music)
- Streaming Video Files finds records for online streaming videos from sources like Films On Demand
- Audio CDs & Other Sound Formats includes compact discs, audiotapes, and phonograph records
- Streaming Audio Files finds records for online streaming sound recordings from sources like Naxos Music Library and DRAM
- Electronic Resources (licensed databases) limits to records for licensed research databases and e-journal collections like Academic Search Premier and JSTOR
- E-Books finds records for individual e-books within larger electronic resource collections like NetLibrary and Ebrary
- Manuscripts/Archival finds collections housed in the library's Special Collections and Archives
- Maps finds all kinds of topographic maps housed in the library
- Music Scores finds printed music (for more details, see the guide to finding music scores)
- Photos finds photograph collections housed in Special Collections and Archives
Publication year: To limit to a range of years, enter a year in both boxes, e.g., 1970 and 1990 will limit to items published in any year from 1970 to 1990. To find materials published in 1990 or later up to the present, simply enter 1990 in the first box.
Language: Use to retrieve only those items published in the specified language. May be used in combination with such Material type options as 'DVDs & VHS' or 'CDs, Audiotapes, & LPs' to find films or sound recordings in other languages.
Sort results by: By default, search results are sorted by year, with the most recent items appearing first in the results. Keyword search results can also be sorted by title (A-Z) and relevance (the most relevant items based on the words or terms you entered display first).
Need more help? See the following search help pages with sample searches:
- Keyword finds items with distinctive words in titles, subjects, or notes.
- Author finds items written by particular individuals or organizations.
- Title finds items according to the exact title
- Subject finds items according to Library of Congress subject headings.
- Periodical Title finds print periodicals (journals, magazines, and newspapers held in the library) by exact title. See Find Journals to locate online periodicals by title. See also Find Articles for guidance in finding articles and other research information in a variety of Web resources.
- Author/Title finds items by author and keywords from the title.
- Call Number finds items by Library of Congress (LC) call number. Entering the first part of a call number allows the user to browse online for all items belonging to a specific classification range (i.e., subject area). See also other Number searches.