Help: Library Catalog Search - Basics
Abstract: A very short refresher course on finding items held in Cline Library.
Use the catalog to find books, media (DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, etc.), maps, manuscripts, government documents and other materials held in the Cline Library.
The Find Books & Other Materials page is a good starting point for most catalog searches. Under "Find Books and Other Materials in Cline Library" choose your search option from the dropdown menu (Keyword, Author, Title, Subject, or Call Number), type your word(s), name, title, or call number in the box, and click "Go!"
Try it now:
Library catalog help screens are also available to guide you in the various types of catalog searches:
- Keyword finds items with distinctive words in titles, subjects, or notes, e.g., arizona wildlife.
- Author finds items written by particular individuals or organizations: Vonnegut, Kurt.
- Title finds items according to the exact title: Grapes of Wrath
- Subject finds items according to Library of Congress subject headings: Indians of North America
- Call Number finds items by Library of Congress (LC) call number. Entering the first part of a call number allows the user to browse online for all items belonging to a specific classification range (i.e., subject area): F788 .P89. See also other Number searches.
See also: Advanced Catalog Search.